by Scoobie Davis
Films I Want To See
Over the weekend, I saw the surfing documentary Step Into Liquid (which I loved) and Once Upon A Time In Mexico (which I liked but didn't think was as good as El Mariachi). On Sunday, I tried to get into an advance screening of Richard Linklater's School of Rock (starring Jack Black) but I got to Mann's Chinese Theatre too late; I was very unhappy because I like Black and I love Linklater's films--especially Dazed and Confused and Waking Life.
Here are some films I want to see:
1) Kill Bill. Quentin Tarentino's first film in six years (his previous film was Jackie Brown which is one of my all-time favorites).
2) Where's The Party Yaar? I saw the trailer and it looks like a fun film to watch. It involves partying by Indian-Americans (Indians from Asia, not native Americans). I enjoy Bollywood musicals and this looks very off-beat. Also, the trailer promises hot Desi women!(okay, I added the last sentence to get hits from horny guys surfing for porn but it's true).
3) Wonderland. This is the story of porn star John Holmes and the infamous Laurel Canyon murders. Val Kilmer is a great actor and the trailer looks intense.
4) Anything Else. Some people say that Woody Allen is slipping but I saw The Curse of the Jade Scorpion recently and I thought it was entertaining. It stars Jason Biggs whose acting skills go far beyond convincingly fucking a pie.
5) Duplex. I love dark comedies and while Danny DeVito's previous effort Death to Smoochy was no Dr. Strangelove, it wasn't as bad as some people said it was. Actually, I thought it was pretty good. Duplex looks better. Plus, it stars two good actors--Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore.