by Scoobie Davis
on how ALEC and the right use voter fraud as a pretext to attack voting rights. In the comments section is an insightful post by "Captain America":
This is hardly breaking news. It was manifest a decade ago. In fact, just about every "problem" that demands a right-wing "solution" is manufactured, either out of whole cloth or as a result of previous "solutions":
- Creating budget shortfalls to justify government cutbacks.
- Manufacturing terrorist sting operations to justify the GWOT and constitutional eviscerations.
- Underfunding schools to create bad outcomes, which are used to justify privatization and union bashing.
- Deregulating banks so they can create a bubble and extract the wealth before it pops -- and then bail them out and prosecute their critics.
- Imposing upon foreign nations debt burdens so great that government assets must be sold off to private-sector U.S. campaign donors in a fire sale.
- Taking advantage of the need for immigration reform and piggybacking more HB1 visas on the legislation, even though there are available U.S. workers.
- "War on Christmas," which requires affirmative pro-Christian statements by local governments.
Every crisis is an opportunity, even if you have to create the crisis.